Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bottled Rainbows- a start to my blog :)

I have been making things as long as I can remember. I never thought I would know (or be learning) how to quilt. My Grandma made me clothes as I grew up, and my mom taught me how to sew a receiving blanket (aka- a STRAIGHT line!). But I didn't sew for years, and years! Then I saw some adorable stuffed animal patterns I wanted to make, but it took sewing. So I pulled out the machine and got to work! I was mortified of CURVED lines- oh my!! However, I quickly learned that it is really a straight line that you turn! So my rationale was, not really a "curved" line, afterall; I could do this! It went from there- making Waldorf dolls, and then the big jump- I decided to try a Queen size quilt- yes, I am crazy (but that's a good thing)! I saw I Dance in Cirlces from Tracey Jay and knew I had to make one. I did- stippled it on my little Bernina and all (oh how I dream of an 820!) ;). It turned perfectly, to me, so the obsession began... My aunt warned me to never start quilting or I'd never be the same again. I'm glad I didn't listen- I like the "new" me :)! hehe! I had seen tons of quilts and patterns I love since Cirlces, but none that I had to do right then. Well, that changed when I saw a post by Angela about the Bottled Rainbows Quilt along. I didn't know how I'd get enough scraps, but I knew I HAD to make one :)!

Rachel, at her lovely blog (here: http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/02/bottled-rainbows-ticker-tape-quilt.html) brilliantly began this quilt along, and it is wonderful! I am still waiting on my Kona solids, but I am giddy to begin! I dream about what this quilt will look like- do you ever do that? Dream about stuff you are making? Happens to me ALL.THE.TIME. :) If not, I guess consider yourself normal! It's cool though- so dreaming I go, and quilting I will be soon!

I am loving learning about quilting and all things sewing! It is quite a challenge with no one close by that I can learn "hands-on" from (that's how I like to learn- if you can show me, I know it forever). But it gives me good practice, and I am a perfectionist through and through, so I make it til it's perfect! This road is just beginning for me, and I am so excited to hold on and enjoy the RIDE!!!! WEEEEEEE!

1 comment:

  1. This is going to be an amazing blog by a phenomenal crafter and woman. I can't wait to see what you do with it (and let's hope you post more than I do on mine ....LOL).

    ReplyDelete