Friday, August 17, 2012

The Donut Lady...

Yup, that's what I am this year :)  Probably the next few, actually.  My kiddos school as one day a month when the students can bring a parent, 30 minutes before school, have donuts, and read books together.  It's a great program and I am so excited that I get to be over the activity!  The past few years have been very dull and plain, but that's just not how I work!  So for the past few months, I have been scheming and planning and purchasing :).  
I got some of the most darling aqua gingham fabric to make a table cloth for the donut table I sit at :)  Think pinked edges- just darling!!  
I also found this printable online and enlarged it, covered it with felt that was close to the design, and will have the perfect welcome sign!  I love how 3-D felt makes things look.  The kiddos at school will love it too, I am sure!  

Then for me, I looked everywhere, online and in brick and mortar shops for donut fabric to make an apron.  Nothing spoke to me or had the colors I was going for!  So I bought a precious apron from Hobby Lobby, using the 40% off coupon of course, and designed my own "logo".  Then I pulled out my embroidery thread and got to work :).  I just ADORE how it turned out!!  The ruffle is so me, and the design is even more me!!!  
I also found some hot pink melamine trays at Hobby Lobby too, with coupons of course, to set up the donuts on.  
And then I needed something to give the kiddos that wouldn't be eaten in two seconds, and since they are reading with their parent, I thought of bookmarks.  I tried designing one, but without a great editing program on my computer, and not being able to figure out how to draw on the picmonkey program, I was not sure it would work.  Then I walked in Walmart a few days ago and saw a cart of school supplies on clearance.  Yup, the coolest bookmarks around, in packs of 25- hot dog :)!!  Buying the ton
I needed was still way cheaper than printing out my own- score! Now I just need an orange container for the bookmarks :). 
So beings my first year as "The Donut Lady"!  I am so excited and feel mostly ready to make this activity even more fun and looked forward to than it is :)  Ready or not, here I come!!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I was the cookie lady one year at my kids' school - very cool! (love you apron & good job on the sign!)

    ReplyDelete